"This colorful, crowd-pleasing dip is full of flavor," remarks Darnele West of Lancaster, South Carolina. "A cousin made it for a family get-together, and we finished off every bite!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Chopped sweet red or yellow pepper, optional
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Fresh vegetables or tortilla chips
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, saute garlic for 1-2 minutes. Stir in beans, cheese, picante sauce, onions and cumin; mix well. Cook over low heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with peppers and cilantro if desired. Serve with vegetables or chips.