Bavarian Beef Dinner
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dill seed, caraway seeds, paprika and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, warmed
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add the beef broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until beef is tender; reduce heat.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add sour cream and heat through (do not boil). Serve over rice with sauerkraut on the side.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 324 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 10, 2018
Family enjoyed it was very tasty
Apr 2, 2013
There's no way that this recipe was rated 5 Stars. It was an awkward taste and my husband and kids ended up having Captain Crunch Cereal. I dont see how this won first place???
Mar 17, 2013
I make this dish on a regular basis and have to substitute very few ingredients to suit my tastes, it's wonderful and an easy way to impress your friends. I also like to substitute the beef ingredients for a chicken version that is almost better than with beef, try it out!
Oct 19, 2011
My family loved the blend of flavors, we served over mashed potatoes instead of rice. rave reviews
Apr 9, 2011
This is one of my favorite chuck roast recipes, I recently tried it using venison, it was great. My husband butchers his own deer and this is a great recipe to use the "smaller chunks".
Sep 21, 2009
When I tasted this recipe while it was cooking it was zippy and delicious! After I added the sour cream it became very mild. Next time I'll add less sour cream or just add a dab for garnish. It smelled fabulous as it cooked!
Apr 21, 2009
No comment left
Jul 13, 2007
No comment left