Basil Polenta with Beans ‘n’ Peppers
Basil livens up polenta and beans in this colorful, meatless supper from Kimberly Hammond, Kingwood, Texas. Add a salad and fresh fruit to complete the nice, light meal.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually add cornmeal, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in basil. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Transfer to an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, pepper and remaining salt; keep warm.
- Cut polenta into four squares; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes. Turn and broil 5-6 minutes longer or until heated through. Top with vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 276 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.