Basil Parmesan Bread
The combination of basil, Parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes gives this hearty bread a flavor that will take you right to Tuscany! —Sherry Hulsman, Elkton, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, oil, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in cheese, tomatoes, basil, pepper sauce and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.