Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks; mix well. Add bananas. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a few banana slices.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 213 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 18, 2019
Pretty good. A simple recipe. I would make this again. I added 2/3 cup chocolate chips. I accidentally got some egg yolk in the egg whites when I was separating the eggs so they didn't whip up as well as they could have but that's totally my fault. Two medium-large bananas made 1 cup of mashed bananas.
Sep 27, 2017
I thought it was moist but nothing to rave about. I think there are better banana cake or banana bar recipes out there.
Apr 1, 2017
I made these yesterday with a lot of changes. I did not use shortening; I used peanut butter and canola oil instead. They turned out amazing. I also used chocolate chips instead of walnuts. My nephew and sister liked them better than banana bread.
Sep 27, 2015
I made two batches of this. The first one came out fine, but the second took longer to make and seemed to not quite set in the middle. Hmmmm....but the flavor is nice. Not sure if I like this better than banana bread though.
Jun 17, 2015
Excellent recipe and so easy. Moist and yummy, no fork necessary. My batch was done in 35 minutes. I'd check them at 30 next time. I'll be baking these again, loved by all.
Apr 13, 2015
So good! Love it warm right out of the oven with whipped cream. I froze them in individual bars to have at a later time or else we might have eaten the whole pan!
Apr 20, 2014
Wow! What a tasty treat! This is quick and easy and a wonderful way to use up over ripe bananas. I didn't even put the cream cheese on and was still blown away by how flavorful and moist these were. This most certainly IS a winner!
Dec 26, 2013
This is the best banana cake I have ever tasted. It's so moist and flavorful. My husband even liked it and he doesn't usually like cake. I will make this again.
Aug 1, 2011
Very tastey. I didn't want to share with others, but the people I did share with wanted the recipe from me.I left out the nuts as they're expensive at the moment, but it turned out great.
Jun 29, 2011
This is our family's all time favorite way to use ripe bananas. Very moist!!