Banana Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium, firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Optional: Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas into crust; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 338 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 31, 2020
I’ve had many banana cream pie recipes, and this, by far is the best one! It gets rave reviews from everyone that eats it. I have people in different neighborhoods asking me to make it, and people often ask me to bring it to parties. Enjoy!
Jul 8, 2020
I'm providing no stars due to the fact that the recipe as written reflects flour as an ingredient but the video prep reflects cornstarch and there's a huge difference. The editing should have made the correction by now since this was already mentioned. Since it hasn't been consistent, I will not be making this and won't be sharing out. Unfortunate...banana cream is one of my favorites. *sad face*
May 19, 2020
Do not make this! Does not set well. It’s mire like pudding not pie. Very upset with its outcome.
Apr 10, 2020
No comment left
Feb 11, 2020
I wish I had had the same success as the other cooks with this recipe. I wasn't in my own kitchen, but over at my sister's for Thanksgiving. I made this the night before and the filling tasted DELICIOUS as the other cooks here indicated. But the next day, on Thanksgiving I found my pie had not set or thickened and the bananas had all gone brown. I thought they would be safe inside the custard! It tasted good but LOOKED terrible! It was a big disappointment.
Dec 5, 2019
The absolute best banana cream pie! Don't change a thing! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor.
Oct 30, 2019
As good as it gets! Authentic and from scratch. Made for father-in-law's birthdays 2017, 18
Sep 3, 2019
Funny how we read 1/3 of Flour and on the screen reading shows Cornstarch!!!! What is Up with That! We should be able to Trust what we Read is the Same as what We See On SCREEN!
Apr 18, 2019
This was my first attempt at "real" banana cream pie and this recipe made it easy to have a successful first try! So delicious!!
Apr 6, 2019
Easy to make and delicious. Look forward to sharing for a potluck.