Banana Brown Betty
At home in Bremen, Indiana, Kathleen Starcevich recalls that her three kids used to “go bananas” over this delicious, down-home dessert flavored with a sunny splash of orange juice, brown sugar, bananas and cinnamon.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 small firm bananas, cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large skillet, combine 1/4 cup orange juice, sugar and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until light caramel in color, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add bananas and stir gently to combine.
- Spoon half of banana mixture into six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon bread crumbs. Top with remaining banana mixture. Spoon 2 tablespoons remaining orange juice over each.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over bananas.
- Place ramekins in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.