Baked Sloppy Joes
When our kids were teenagers, I'd often double this recipe just in case their friends stopped by for dinner unannounced. Leftovers can be reheated and are just as good the second time around. - Beverly Bahlow, Gray, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, fennel seed and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. In a bowl, combine butter, paprika and remaining garlic powder; mix well. Brush over cut sides of rolls. Spread meat mixture on roll bottoms; top with mozzarella cheese. Replace roll tops. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
With a seven-layer salad and french fries, one Baked Sloppy Joe is usually enough for anyone. Brownies or chocolate layer cake top off this tasty meal.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.