Baked Potato Cheddar Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese and onions and, if desired, bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without bacon): 392 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 3, 2019
My tweaks included using buttermilk instead of regular milk, adding in 1 cup of half and half, as well as 1 cup of water with a dissolved chicken bouillon cube, left out the sour cream except as a small dollop for the top of the soup. The cheese, onions, and bacon I followed as recipe stated. Easy, quick, and budget friendly.
Sep 16, 2019
The recipe was perfect consistency and very filling. A soup like this is supposed to be thick. I added three bouillon cubes and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of onion powder just to give it a bit more flavor. Before I added that it tasted just like a baked potato, which is probably what was intended. It’s all personal preference.
Nov 15, 2018
I liked the consistency of the soup,but not enough flavor for my family. I added 1 cup of cheese, onion, and bacon to the soup.
Jan 8, 2018
This is a tasty base recipe but I made adjustments to add more flavor and suit our tastes. I added 2 chicken boullion cubes and a scoop (about 3 T) of herb spreadable cheese. Definitely recommend serving with bacon and additional cheddar cheese.
Nov 19, 2015
Potato soup is naturally thick but I like the idea of making a roux with coconut oil used for cooking chopped yellow onions instead of a flour and milk mixture. Yellow onions add to the flavor and cooking the roux for about 3 minutes gets rid of the raw flour taste.I also use sharp cheddar and add Parmesan cheese which builds on the cheese flavor. White pepper also disperses better for most foods. : )
Oct 23, 2015
Completely bland. I will not be making this again. Even my husband who will eat anything agreed to just throw out the leftovers.
Oct 5, 2015
Great flavor. I used frozen southern hashbrowns to make this recipe even easier. Will make it again.
Oct 3, 2015
It was wonderful and fast and easy to do awesome??????
Sep 27, 2015
It has better flavor if you add the cheese so it melts and then put in real bacon bits, then before serving sprinkle with onions.
Feb 22, 2015
I have to say I was not pleased with the outcome of this recipe. The consistency was way to thick to call this a soup. I think it would work better if you kept the potatoes cubed instead of coarsely mashing them. We had to add more milk and way more seasoning just to make this edible. Sadly disappointed.