Baked Ham with Cherry Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, score surface of ham with 1/4-in.-deep cuts in a diamond pattern. Mix brown sugar, syrup and mustard; rub over ham and press into cuts. Bake, covered, until a thermometer reads 140°, 1-3/4 to 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch, sugar and water until smooth. Add cherries; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and almond extract. Serve warm with ham.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 339 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1198mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Apr 7, 2018
Prepared my Easter ham this way. The rub (brown sugar, mustard and maple syrup) were a standard good way to prep/cook a ham. We will do this again.The cherry sauce was good, different and refreshing different but this makes a lot of sauce. We will not do the cherry sauce again unless we have at least 12 people eating dinner. The sweetness of the sauce was a good compliment to the saltier ham. The cherry/ham is like the cranberry/turkey combo at Thanksgiving. Be sure to eat this sauce the same day...the next day it is the consistency of jello even after reheating.
Apr 2, 2018
Ham was delicious, but the sauce was just odd tasting. The ham glaze with a mixture of brown sugar and coarse ground mustard was pretty standard, but the sauce was unusual so I thought I would give it a try. The sauce is very sweet and the almond flavoring just makes it taste odd without enhancing the ham. I would use the recipe again but omit the sauce. vern
Apr 13, 2013
I made this for Easter for something different. In the past, my mom's cooked the traditional ham with pineapple and marachino cherries. This was fantastic! Even while I was carving it, I couldn't keep the family from grabbing pieces and chowing down. Then, adding the cherry sauce just topped it all off. So delecious! I was told by my mom that she is never cooking a ham again!
May 1, 2010
This is the first dish I made my boyfriend and it became his favorite (even raved about it 2 days after the meal!)
Jan 23, 2010
I used 2 tbs amaretto & pureed the cherries.Got raves from the guests.
Jul 10, 2009
This was very yummy. I can't wait to make this for company! The cherry sauce really made it special.
Apr 13, 2009
We usually have our leg of lamb for Easter, but this year with the economy tried this ham recipe. Everyone loved it! The cherry sauce was wonderful too! A definate do again!
Mar 26, 2009
Champagne and Prosecco goes great with Easter Apps and Dinner. If you're not a big drinker or have guests that don't partake, I recommend a sparkling juice such as Kristian Regale. They can be found at IKEA and come in a variety of flavors that are all delicious and healthy! Enjoy!