Baked French Toast with Home Style Syrup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1-1/4 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Add bread and soak for 5 minutes, turning once to coat. Coat each slice with cornflake crumbs and place on a well-greased baking sheet. Dot each slice with butter. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- For syrup, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in evaporated milk and flavorings.
- Serve over warm French toast.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 416 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 20, 2011
Easy, and delicious. I used cinnabon bread. Liked by all.
Feb 8, 2011
Everyone loved it and asked for it again! With my big family, that is rare!
Dec 25, 2007
I made this for our families Christmas Eve gathering. All wanted the recipe when they saw how easy it was. Tasted great!!!
Sep 27, 2007
No comment left