Baked Chicken and Zucchini
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 572 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 49g protein.
Jun 22, 2020
This was delicious! The chicken was tender and the zucchini firm and cheesy!
Jul 24, 2013
Jul 20, 2013
Delicious way to use up my garden zucchini!
Oct 18, 2011
Good chicken. My zucchini ended up too soggy but the flavor of the entire dish was good!
Jun 15, 2011
Excellent!!! I added slices of onion, mushrooms, and lots of fresh garlic to the zucchini. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!
Sep 8, 2010
Love,love,love this recipe! I've been making it since it was first published-one of my familys favorites.
Aug 1, 2010
Tasty, excellent flavor! Good combination of veggies.
Apr 19, 2010
No comment left
Apr 24, 2009
No comment left
Aug 19, 2008
My husband loved this recipe. It was a great dinner to make when zucchini is plentiful.