Baked Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours 10 min.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into strips
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 cup water
- In large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Spoon into a greased 3-qt. casserole. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 356 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 8, 2013
No comment left
Feb 16, 2012
I noticed the recipe had NO spices listed. I did some tweeking to give it more flavor by adding salt and pepper, garlic, Fine Herbs seasoning, catsup, and worcestershire sauce. I used beef broth instead of water, and Wondra flour instead of tapioca. I also added 1 turnip, 1 green pepper, and 3 parsnips because that is what I use in a stovetop version of mine. I checked it after 2 hours and added some more beef broth, and 10 minutes before the end of baking, I sprinkled in the Wondra flour. After the tweeking it was very good and I will make it again.
May 5, 2010
oh so good! I didn't have tapioca on hand so just used flour - it was great.
Feb 28, 2010
Meat is super tender, the gravy is the perfect consistency, this is really good. I added some sliced cremini mushrooms and used a can of fire-roasted tomatoes for the diced tomatoes, and it is just tasty!
Nov 14, 2009
Oh is this good on a cold school night! Thank you!
Apr 9, 2008
sodium looks a little high!
Feb 1, 2008
can you use corn starch in place of tapioca