Bacon Date Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add green onions to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 1-2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cayenne. In another bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup cheese, dates, bacon and green onions (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 211 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Aug 22, 2020
Bacon and cheese, love this! Also contrary to the review below, I found all of the easy to follow messurements for this recipe listed plainly in the ingredients. Very happy with the results.
Jan 14, 2020
Delicious recipe. It has bacon!
Oct 24, 2018
How you supposed to make this when part of the recipe is missing there are no measurements for the eggs, sour cream or butter?!!!