Authentic German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min.
- 3 pounds medium red potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper until blended. Gradually add the sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices. Add potatoes and bacon to the skillet; cook and stir gently over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 349 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
Way too much sugar!!! Otherwise really good
Jul 4, 2020
This is the original recipe We loved it.
Jul 3, 2020
Agree, needs less sugar 1/3 to 1/2 at the most. Easy to make. Husbands favorite.
Jun 18, 2020
I was looking for a recipe without sugar since Jason and I do not regularly eat sugar but like German potato salad.
May 15, 2020
Hey, you DO all realize that there is more than one kind of German Potato Salad, right? every region's is different...some with bacon, some made with sour cream, some with just broth, some with cucumbers, some with pickles....there is not just one! I have two different versions, I make, my mom's friend's version from München, and my Oma's version from The Sudetenland. they are as different from each other as potato salads can get! But both are VERY good, it rather depends on what your main entree is! Guten Appetit~!
May 15, 2020
I think the amount of sugar is being misread. It is not 1 and 1/4 cups. It think it was meaning to say quantity (1) amount ( 1/4 ) therefore written 1-1/4.
Jan 8, 2020
Don't waste resources making this. It is horrible. My husband
Nov 13, 2019
I come from a very German background and that recipe is close, but the sauce is way too thin!
Oct 7, 2019
I'm making it right now, but already my hubby is loving the smell. I think it is really wonderful sharing the recipe, and what an awesome restaurant owner to give you a great gift like that!!! God Bless him. The best gift ever!
Aug 11, 2019
I used a similar recipe designed for Crock Pot. Wow. Mine used 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar. Next time I'll use white vinegar and my red potatoes were full of eyes :-)