Aunt Betty’s Blueberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine oats and orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the egg, oil and sugar until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into oat mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 30, 2020
Excellent, even without topping. Yes, crumbly, but still good and delish heated up topped with butter!
Feb 21, 2020
I’ve made many blueberry muffins in my lifetime but these are the best. I only had quick cooking oats so I used those less 2 Tbs. I used 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour instead of all all-purpose flour. I did not find the batter unusually stiff. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Feb 20, 2020
Wanted to give it 5 stars Very easy and quick I am a very avid baker and couldn’t figure out why the muffins were crumbly?? Any ideas
Feb 20, 2020
This is now my go-to blueberry muffin recipe -- easy to fix, absolutely delicious, and healthy!
Dec 3, 2019
It's the orange and oats that really makes this blueberry muffin special. However, mine came out very crumbly so we decided to serve them warm crumbled over vanilla ice cream. Delicious.
Sep 22, 2019
These blueberry muffins are terrific. I've made them several times now. I have added orange zest to the batter, gives it a little more tang. I usually double the recipe and make them in Texas sized muffin pan and cook for 25 minutes. These muffins are much heartier than some store bought mix and yet they're so simple to make. They're so GOOD. Aunt Betty does make the best blueberry muffins!
Aug 27, 2019
I loved these. Best I've ever had and not too gigantic. I didn't have oj so I used milk and they were delicious.
Aug 11, 2019
These are delicious. Fluffy and just the right level of moisture. Love the combination of orange with the blueberries. The sugar topping put them over the top!
Jul 31, 2019
I used fresh blueberries. The recipe is great. Muffins are moist, not sweet and not dry. I definitely will be baking these muffins again.
Jul 5, 2019
I already have a favorite blueberry muffin recipe but was looking for a change and was intrigued by the orange juice and oatmeal in this one. I just made them and sat down and devoured four! (Telling myself they were small and I didn't have any lunch, lol). I'm surprised by the comments from those who found them dry--mine were moist and delicious albeit a bit grumbly as some reviewers have noted. I loved the hint of orange. The only reason I didn't give them five stars is because they fall apart quite easily. But they're yummy!