Au Gratin Sausage Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (4.9 ounces) au gratin potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil until lightly browned; drain. Add potatoes with contents of sauce mix and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 660 calories, 47g fat (18g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 2093mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Aug 11, 2020
Followed the recipe exactly and a large portion of my potatoes and sausage burned to the bottom of the skillet. Otherwise, flavor was decent, but kind of disappointed and will next time use a lower temperature than medium.
May 11, 2020
Just two of us so I cut the sausage in half. Other than that I made it as written I thought it needed some changes. I made it again last night. I sautéed the sausage in butter instead of oil until a little brown, removed it from the pan. I used 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of whole milk, it thickened more than I like so added a little more milk. This time I used only 1/2 cup of frozen peas instead of 8-ounces of vegetable blend. We both liked it better with the few changes. I would give it 3 stars as written, but 5 stars after my changes.
Apr 23, 2019
Made this when my vegetable heating nephews were visiting and they asked for seconds.
Mar 7, 2019
This is a favorite of my husbands!
Feb 6, 2019
No comment left
Apr 30, 2017
This was an easy weeknight recipe with simple ingredients! My husband loved it a lot it's very nice comfort food. We also baked it in the oven with a little extra cheese.
Dec 16, 2016
No comment left
Oct 25, 2016
Quick and easy the whole family loved it!
Oct 30, 2014
This was ok. I used turkey sasauge and didn't add cheese on top to cut some of the calories. not that impressed
Mar 14, 2014
I did not remember the recipe when I was in the kitchen so followed the directions on the augratin box and added the milk and unsalted butter, it was very creamy and delicious, my neighbors enjoyed it as well. I noticed previous comments about being too salty, this was not salty at all. I am thinking that the milk and butter act as a catalyst and reduce the salt from the cheese powder and smoked beef sausage. Thanks! Going to try this with some turkey ham, and maybe even some thick chili.