Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 slices white or whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- In a skillet, melt butter; saute bread crumbs until golden. Stir in the egg, parsley and salt.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain and transfer to a platter. Spoon topping over asparagus.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 100 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 10, 2018
I like to serve this for guests...it looks like I took a long time in prep, but it is so easy and so delicious.
Mar 30, 2012
After reading another reviewer's question, I should add we use three slices of fresh bread, usually Nature's own white wheat.
Mar 30, 2012
This is our favorite asparagus recipe - even asparagus haters enjoy it! Perfect for special occasions and company worthy. Great recipe.
Aug 13, 2010
I use 3 slices of whole wheat bread, coarsely crumbled. This works very well for me, so I suspect it was the original intended amount in the recipe. I think this is an elegant presentation for asparagus and a nice complement to the taste as well.
Jun 17, 2010
Would like to try this recipe, but bread quantity is vague . . . are these slices of bread cut or cubed? In directions it says bread crumbs . . . would it be 3 Tablespoons of bread crumbs. Please advise.