Asparagus Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 packages (10 ounces each) asparagus cuts, thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 9, 2020
Nov 21, 2018
This asparagus casserole is so delicious! Made it years ago but lost the recipe
Nov 29, 2015
I made it for Thanksgiving instead of the green bean casserole. Everyone loved it.
Apr 14, 2014
Very Good. I used lite margarine and cream cheese also. Best with fresh asparagus.
Nov 25, 2013
great but modified by adding more asparagus and less onion ( guess its up to what you like)
Apr 24, 2011
No comment left
Jan 26, 2011
No comment left
Sep 8, 2010
I would give this recipe 10 stars if i could. I loved it!!
May 10, 2010
Made this for Mothers Day. Loved by everyone. A new favorite! I used sweet onions, and only baked until bread crumbs were brown so asparagus remained crisp tender.
Apr 19, 2010
I made this w/ low fat margerine, low fat cream cheese and Panko bread crumbs to liten it up a bit, it was incredible! LOVE IT!!!!