Asparagus Ham Crepes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- MUSHROOM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a blender, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water; drain and pat dry.
- On each crepe, layer a ham slice, Swiss cheese slice and three asparagus spears. Roll up and place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and bouillon. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the cream, mushrooms and chives. Pour over crepes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 343 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1366mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 6, 2016
Wonderful! Used left-over ham, chopped up, and chopped the asparagus as well.
Feb 22, 2015
These were delicious for a Sunday brunch. I doubled the recipe for the batter and I'm glad I did because it always takes me a while to get the crepes right and the first several end up in the garbage disposal. The only other change was to leave out the mushrooms because I don't like them. Definitely a keeper!
Apr 2, 2012
I made this yesterday for family and it was a big hit. Even my 12 year old said it was better than he thought it was going to be (he loves crepes w/ strawberries & whipped cream)!! Thanks to the previous review, I used a slightly differenct crepe recipe which tripled the number crepes and I'm glad I did!! Other than that, a great mix of flavors and textures. Really delicious! Thank you, TOH.
Feb 16, 2011
No comment left
Feb 12, 2011
What better way to start the Valentine weekend with my sweety.... Asparagus Ham Crepes! (I also just added a side cup of Yogurt with Granola and Fruit.)The crepes were absolutely delicious! Definitely a keeper recipe... and would be impressive for over night guest! However... I only got about 4 crepes out of the batter, so you may want to double the recipe for those. Next time I may make them the night before also, then when ready put them in the oven and make the sauce. There was PLENTY of sauce with this recipe.
Oct 22, 2006
No comment left