Asparagus, Chicken, Wild Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Spread rice in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Add the broth and mushrooms; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Arrange chicken in center of dish; sprinkle with onion soup mix. Spoon mushroom soup over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Arrange asparagus around edges of dish. Melt remaining butter; brush over asparagus and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender.
Apr 5, 2018
Good but too salty for me. Next time I will use fresh mushrooms and skip the canned mushrooms and mushroom soup. I will also thicken the chicken broth a little bit and add some fresh chopped onions and skip the salty onion soup mix.
Apr 12, 2015
Very good weeknight dinner recipe, and very easy. I made it exactly how the recipe says to, and it turned out delicious.
Mar 11, 2014
Love this!! I however did modify this recipe a little bit...instead of regular rice I used the new Minute Rice multi-grain medly ( which is a mixture of brown rice, red rice , wild rice and quinoa) I used one package which is one cup of rice....I only dotted it with a few dots of butter , I didn't have mushrooms but I had a big portabella which I diced up and only used 1 tablespoon of onion soup. I added a bit of milk to my soup to make it creamy and I cut up my asparagus and sauted it in the butter for a little while . also I used chicken tenders instead of big chicken breasts, I think they cook faster and so does the instant rice...turned out beautiful...my husband said it was the best casserole he's ever had! Oh I also sprinkled a a little pepper and garlic powder in with my soup. Wonderful!!!
Jan 6, 2014
This is an old old recipe: used 3 tbsp. butter (total) and additional 1/3 c water (I always use 3 tb sour cream and 2 tb water, An e xcellent recipe! I also vary from cream of mushroom soup to cream of chicken soup!--both very good.
Jul 8, 2013
I cooked this recipe for the first time for myself and my son and we loved it! Next time I cook it i wont put as much onion soup mix. Other than that it was yummy.
Jun 20, 2013
No comment left
Jun 11, 2013
We just loved it. Will make again.
Jun 4, 2013
No comment left
Feb 19, 2013
Very tasty. I only dotted 1 Tblsp of butter in the rice and 2 1/2 Tblsp of butter on the asparagus after reading the reviews about too much butter. These amounts worked fine. Only downside was that my wild rice came out crunchy. Will try par boiling the wild rice next time.
Dec 12, 2012
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. Even the kids love it and it's so easy!