Asparagus and Tomato Salad
Our house is full of asparagus "fans"—my husband, our daughter and I can't get enough of it! My recipe is one I created years ago. I wanted to serve a cold dish in place of a hot vegetable at a dinner we were having for family and friends, and this salad was the result. I've found people who don't normally care for asparagus enjoy it prepared this way.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 8 to 16 lettuce leaves
- 2 to 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the water and onion powder; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender and bright green. Drain; cool to room temperature.
- Place 1-2 lettuce leaves for serving on a large platter or individual salad plates. Halve the tomato slices and arrange on lettuce. Top with asparagus and avocado if desired. Combine all dressing ingredients; dollop on each salad.