Asian Barbecued Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Optional: julienned green onions and sesame seeds
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil on all sides in batches. Remove ribs; discard pan drippings. In the same pan, saute onion for 2 minutes or until tender. Return ribs to the pan.
- Combine the ketchup, 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, mustard, ginger, salt, pepper and bay leaf; pour over ribs.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan drippings. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. If desired, top with julienned green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 240 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
May 20, 2020
Excellent dish! Fall of the bone and delicious. My father-in-law was especially pleased.
Feb 26, 2015
This is a really good recipe. As I mixed the wet ingredients together, I was unsure. I followed the recipe and added a little extra brown sugar and at the end of cooking, added some honey. Absolutely delicious.
Oct 15, 2013
Apr 24, 2013
My family of five enjoyed this very much. I did ad 50% to the recipe because there are 5 of us. Besides the recalculation of the recipe, I added above that, more ginger, more brown sugar, more soy sauce and added sesame oil and lemon grass for more of an Asian flavor. I believe the recipe would have tasted just fine without the adjustments, but it was just a change for personal taste. If anyone is thinking of turning the cooking temp up, don't. I had just enough liquid left and took it out at 1:40 mins. If the temp was higher it would have burned.
Jan 27, 2013
These were really good. I used boneless beef short ribs and the 1 3/4 hour cook time was perfect.
May 3, 2011
Have made this many times, family loves it.I do add more brown sugar than called for, & only half the amount of lemon juice
Sep 18, 2009
Very good! We really enjoyed these ribs.
Aug 10, 2009
that sounds very very delicious