Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup butter, softened
- APRICOT FILLING:
- 2 cans (17 ounces each) apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- Chocolate curls
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thickened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture. Gradually fold in flour.
- Divide batter among three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- For buttercream, in a small saucepan, whisk the sugar, eggs, yolks, vanilla and coffee. Add chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until thickened (do not boil). Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add chocolate mixture; set aside. Finely chop apricots; drain and place in a bowl. Stir in preserves; set aside.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup buttercream. Top with a cake layer and 2/3 cup apricot filling. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Garnish with chocolate curls.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 417 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 236mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 18, 2020
You don't give instructions on what to do with the two cans of apricots. Is there a step missing in the directions?
Sep 16, 2012
As to the other comment, the first time I made this the layers also didn't rise but the second time I beat it as long as it said and it turned out wonderfully
Nov 6, 2009
Great taste but the cake layers didn't rise. My daughter thought it looked like pancakes! I have made it another time & used a different cake recipe.