Apple Streusel Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups peeled chopped tart apples
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened (batter will be stiff). Fold in apples.
- Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Mix glaze ingredients; drizzle over tops.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 295 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 30, 2019
I didn’t add the streusel topping, opted instead for crystal glazing sugar. Also added a little cinnamon
Sep 15, 2019
These were ok. I can't believe I'm saying this but I thought they were too sweet and actually too many apples, and I love both. I made exactly as called for. Not too bad but probably won't make again. Hubby loved them though. I try to be nice when I make negative comments (which isn't often) because I hate when people call them slop, or say they throw in garbage.
May 20, 2019
Made as directed. Didn't look like there was enough batter to cover apples. But I had faith, they turned out FANTASTIC.!
Nov 10, 2018
I usually make a different recipe for apple muffins, but decided to try something new. I liked the dense texture and not overly sweetness of this muffin. I did add a couple of tablespoons of milk to the batter because it seemed too stiff. The topping was just right, not too heavy to collapse the muffins, and not too sweet either. I would make these again.
May 13, 2018
I thought thiese were kinda dry. Not my favorite muffins
Nov 2, 2017
Made these with an additional 1/3 cup of milk and streusel topping. Realized 2 minutes after I put them in the oven that I forgot the sugar. I was prepared to dump them in the trash but decided to try one just to see. I was pleasantly surprised to find them pretty good. So I'd say feel free to reduce the amount of sugar. I'm going to try them next time with 1/2 a cup of sugar
Nov 2, 2017
Made these with an additional 1/3 cup of milk and strudel topping. Realized 2 minutes after I put them in the oven that I forgot the sugar. I was prepared to dump them in the trash but decided to try one just to see. I was pleasantly surprised to find them pretty good. So I'd say feel free to reduce the amount of sugar. I'm going to try them next time with 1/2 a cup of sugar
May 16, 2017
I made this recipe twice today. The recipe says it is thick, but that was an understatement, it was more like a really thick dough, so I added a little milk. It still came out very dense and mealy, more like a cornbread in my mouth. My son made it the first time, so there is a possibility he miscounted on flour, but it was still way too thick. The second time I added about 1/3 c. of sour milk in with the liquids and this time it came out very moist and fluffy, completely perfect. I also replaced the apples with frozen chopped peaches the second time and skipped the toppings since I was out of brown sugar. It was still really good. I think it makes a great basic muffin recipe. I'll definitely make this again.
Feb 19, 2017
Used granny smiths, and caramel extract in the glaze. More dense than my usual muffin recipes, but we all enjoyed them.
Oct 2, 2016
A great recipe for fall! I used gala's, which are my favorite, and left them in pretty big chunks so you could be sure to get the apple in almost every bite!