"The recipe for these golden sugar-topped puffs comes from my mother," writes Pat Klingler from her home in Ashtabula, Ohio. "They are a great way to warm up a cool day. I like to fry them up when I have friends come for coffee."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in confectioners' sugar while warm. Serve warm.
Sep 19, 2013
They were not puffy - finished product were heavy.
Oct 10, 2011
My daughter and I really like these. They are a nice change from heavy, rich desserts and a great way to use up extra apple. My daughter requests them often! Thanks for sharing.