Apple Orange Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 large tart apples, quartered
- 1 large unpeeled orange, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a blender or food processor, process apples, orange and raisins until finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in fruit mixture and nuts.
- Pour into three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
May 4, 2020
There were a few apples and oranges going bad in the fridge so I looked for a recipe that used both - this is the only I found! I did have to make changes based on what I have, so it was 3 small apples and 2 large oranges, butter instead of shortening, and vanilla and almond extract instead of lemon. Oh, and I had no orange juice so I used 4 tbsp of lemon juice with 2 tbsp sugar mixed in 2/3 cup of water. My kitchen smells like Heaven. Somewhere between that carnival candy and funnel cake smell and at a carnival, mixed with lemonade and orange blossoms. Had to cook in 2 small spring form pans for 45 minutes, and both breads/cakes came out perfect. A LITTLE cream cheese frosting to top them off - these are not going to last more than 16 hours in this house. Thanks so much! :) <3
Jan 29, 2018
This was very good. Made a lot. I used butter instead of shortening and I didn't use any nuts since I was taking it to a church breakfast and no nuts are allowed there, due to allergies. My blender wouldn't chop the orange, apples and raisins so I ended up transferring it to my food processor to chop. Should have used the food processor in the first place!!! Will definitely make this loaf again.
Dec 6, 2015
This is so good! I enjoyed smelling the flavor while it cooked. My husband came home from work and asked what I baked. He was hooked. So good . My sister is an expert baker. I gave her the recipe she enjoyed it also.
Jul 26, 2011
I have made this recipe and I really enjoyed making it, too! I admit that I did make adjustments on the recipe for my own tastes, but it is an excellent way to use up apples and oranges!
Oct 19, 2010
I have made this bread many times and it is one of my favorites. The flavor is oustanding. I always make sure to purchase an organically grown orange.
Sep 30, 2010
These are a nice hearty loaf, tasted great even though I forgot to add the lemon extract. I cut the recipe in half and made mini-loaves.
Sep 24, 2010
I made these yesterday and making more today everyone loved it!!!!
Feb 2, 2010
I used craisins instead of raisins. Make sure to wash apples and oranges thoroughly before making this. Very moist bread.