Apple Dumplings with Sauce
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into 8 portions. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll each portion of dough between 2 lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each square. Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center, trimming any excess; pinch edges to seal. If desired, cut out apple leaves and stems from dough scraps; attach to dumplings with water. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm.
Oct 7, 2019
Everything was great about this but the pie dough recipe. 1/3 cup of water wasn’t enough to get the dough to bind. I kept adding a little bit until it held together. I used almost 2/3 cup of water.
Feb 25, 2019
Made as written, these were very good. I did use Gala apples as that was what I had on hand. I would make this recipe again.
Oct 15, 2018
Delicious and getting overwhelming praise. Used the recipe with only 1 small change. Made the sauce with apple cider instead of water and so reduced the brown sugar to just a tad more than 1/2 cup.
Jan 20, 2018
OMG-Good! First time making dumplings. Wow. Love, love, love them. Tip, don't forget to dip your finger into water as you're wrapping the dough so it sticks together. I used half water and half dark Rum for the sauce and it was fantastic. This is a keeper. I even posted a pic on Facebook! Lol They are now an internet sensation!!
Oct 14, 2017
This is almost like my Mama's, except she made a different pie dough. She always added the apple peels to the sauce, then removed them. Thank you for this recipe! It brings back memories
Mar 13, 2017
Can you use premade pie crust dough just as successfully?
Apr 6, 2016
Sooooooooooooooooooo good! Just don't forget the vanilla ice cream!
Apr 5, 2016
Awesome recipe. I add maple extract to the syrup because that's what my mom always did. Best served with butter pecan ice cream!
Nov 8, 2015
I wouldn't even give this recipe one star. The crust was terrible! I followed the recipe exactly like it said and all the dough did was fall apart. I don't know how this got a good review , Because this is the worse recipe ever. Threw the dough away after using it for one apple and got a great recipe out of one of my grandmas recipe books.
Jul 2, 2015
Delicious winter comfort food! My husband loves both apple & stodgy puddings so was just crazy about this recipe.