Apple Dumpling Roll-Ups
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chopped apples (about 4 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened (dough will be soft and sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon to within 1 in. of edges; top with apples. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut into 12 slices. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down.
- In a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil, whisking to blend. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Pour over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 339 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 7, 2019
Oct 16, 2018
didn't work so well for me with Pillsbury Grands. I followed the recipe and they are great even though I really do not like making dough - so spoliled! It really is a great and well received recipe
Mar 12, 2018
No comment left
Nov 29, 2017
Made this for the first time Thanksgiving weekend. Cobblers and more issue is filled with great recipes. I did a quick version by purchasing 2 Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls. Unrolled them and added the chopped apple, then rolled back up. Added the sauce as directed. I baked for 30 minutes and they were perfect. I’ll be making these often.
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't made this yet!
Sep 18, 2015
I agree with the reviewers who found the dough to be very sticky, a little difficult to handle, BUT, as one of my nephews said, "this is outstanding". will make this again. Thank you.
Sep 15, 2015
I haven't made this recipe. I just wanted to say that neither has delowenstein! She made so many major changes the only thing her dessert has in common with this recipe is they both contain apples and produce a pastry. For all the changes, her rating is irrelevant. So why couldn't she go ahead and give it 5 stars?
Jul 14, 2015
I thought these would be really good, but I was a little disappointed since they seemed more bready than I was expecting. I halved the recipe and then used a little less apples and brown sugar than called for, so that's probably my fault. The bake time seemed too long as they came out a little tough for my taste. Obviously others liked it, so it has potential, but if I tried this again, I would make some changes.
Feb 21, 2015
These were delicious, even though I made them gluten-free and the syrup-making got interrupted mid-stream by the dog having a seizure! I used a gluten-free flour blend, doubled the baking powder and added a little xanthan gum and fruit pectin, about a tablespoon of whey protein isolate and two eggs to make the dough. I also subbed corn starch for the flour in the syrup. The wheat-tolerant members of the family also pronounced these "keepers"!
Nov 12, 2014
Followed the recipe to a 'T' and they were a big hit!