Apple Cutout Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Red and green food coloring
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients in order given and mix well. Chill dough 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with an apple-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a small bowl. Transfer three fourths of the frosting into another bowl; add red food coloring for apples. Add green food coloring to remaining frosting for stems. Frost cookies. Allow to sit overnight for frosting to harden.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 191 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 13, 2014
This is the best recipe i have used to date. Cream of tartar helps them hold their shape really well.
Dec 28, 2013
I am a long-term TOH subscriber/reader and have been baking these cookies since they were published in the August/September 1994 issue. No sugar cookie recipe compares to this one! Everyone who tastes them asks me for the recipe and I refer them to TOH.
Feb 18, 2011
this is the only sugar cookie recipe I use anymore. Everyone loves them
Apr 20, 2010
Have made these for years. They are easy and amazing. Takes time but is well worth it.
Dec 21, 2009
No comment left