Apple Cider Chicken Quinoa Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked apple chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Add broth, cider and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in kale and quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 492 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 20, 2020
This was AMAZING! I was so hesitant to make it based on the ingredients but a glad I did! My package of sausage was 16 oz so I decided to cut the sausage in half length wise and double all of the other ingredients. I didn't have sage so I used poultry seasoning instead. The kids devoured it going back for seconds and thirds. This is going in our favorites--I love one pot cooking!
Apr 15, 2019
Love that this is a full meal in one dish! My grocery store was out of kale so I substituted spinach and it was still delicious.
Mar 10, 2019
This is a great healthy recipe. I used ground chicken instead of the chicken sausage, and I left out the kale, because I did not have any on hand. It is a very filling meal and satisfying. If you leave out the ground chicken, it becomes a vegan recipe, which my granddaughters loved.