Apple-Almond Stuffed Turkey
I found this terrific recipe a few years back and tried it our on some friends at a dinner party. Everyone enjoyed the combination of flavors and unique ingredients. It has become my "staple". The currants and apples give the stuffing a nice sweet flavor, and the almonds add crunch. -Laurel McLennan, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (12 cups stuffing)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes, tossing occasionally until partially dried.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the next 10 ingredients in butter until onions and apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil and baste if needed.
Editor's Note: Stuffing may be baked separately in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 778 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 230mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 87g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.