Appetizer Crab Pizza
Guests will know you fussed when they bite into a wedge of this rich, golden pizza with a made-from-scratch crust. Cream cheese, crabmeat and herbs make up the yummy topping.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8-10 servings each)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 2 cups chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 13-in. circle; transfer to two 12-in. pizza pans. Build up edge slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork.
- Bake crusts at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine the cream cheese, crab, milk, feta cheese, basil, oregano, and garlic powder; spread mixture over each crust. Sprinkle each with 1/2 cup Swiss cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges.