Angel Food Christmas Candy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes1-1/2 pounds (12 servings)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring until the temperature reaches 300° (hard-crack stage) on a candy thermometer. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat and quickly stir in baking soda. Pour into a buttered 13x9-in. pan. Do not spread candy; mixture will not fill pan.
- When cool, break into bite-size pieces. Dip into melted chocolate; place on waxed paper until the chocolate is firm. Store candy tightly covered.
Nutrition Facts2 ounces: 337 calories, 11g fat (10g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 19, 2019
Without the chocolate this is good ol' sponge toffee. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw this recipe. I used to make it with my sisters when I was young. The last time I made it was over 50 years ago. Now I'll make it for my children and grandchildren. Dipping the pieces in chocolate puts it over the top! I think it has to be kept in a tightly sealed container so it's out of sight until it goes out with goodies for guests.... otherwise the guests might not get any.! Thanks for sharing.
Dec 12, 2019
Does this taste like a Clark Bar?
Dec 12, 2019
https://www.thespruceeats.com/making-candy-without-a-candy-thermometer-520309 for those with out a thermometer. i also use this method
Aug 29, 2019
Apr 21, 2019
If I don’t have a thermometer, roughly how many minutes should it be cooked to reach the hard crack stage?
Dec 30, 2018
I didn’t realize making this candy was so easy! This was definitely the fave of all the holiday goodies I made this year. This will be added to my usual rotation of treats!
Jul 10, 2017
This candy looks and taste wonderful on a holiday tray!
Mar 3, 2016
Awesome recipe, plus its cheap to make & I always have the ingredients on hand!
Dec 2, 2012
About how long did you have to cook this?
Mar 30, 2012
No comment left