Ambrosia Dessert Bowl
I'm happy to share this wonderful recipe that uses fresh oranges. I've had it a long time. As a volunteer wildlife rehabilitator, I'm especially busy this time of year. It's nice to treat myself to a light, refreshing dessert. #151; Donna Morris, Weirsdale, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 20 large marshmallows
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 5 to 6 large navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place marshmallows and 1/4 cup cream in the top of a double boiler; heat over boiling water until the marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the remaining cream until thickened. Add sugar. Fold into marshmallow mixture. Fold in extracts, pineapple and coconut.
- Place half of pound cake cubes in a 2-1/2 to 3-qt. clear glass bowl. Top with half of the orange sections and half of the cream mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with almonds. Chill until serving.