Almond Tea Cakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and extract; mix well. Add flour and baking powder (dough will be soft). Chill.
- For filling, in a small bowl, stir egg white, sugar, almonds and lemon juice. Remove a portion of the dough at a time from the refrigerator. Place 1-in. balls of dough into miniature muffin cups, pressing slightly into sides and bottom. Place 1/2 teaspoon filling into each. Cover with quarter-sized circles of dough.
- Brush with a little milk and top with an almond. Bake at 350° until golden, 14-16 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 119 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 22, 2012
I'd just like to ask a question: The instructions for the filling say to STIR the egg white. Shouldn't you beat it into a frothy meringue??
Oct 24, 2011
I doubled the filing and added a little less than 1/4 tsp of strawberry jam to the bottom of each tart, before filing. Delicious! and so pretty! A keeper.
May 2, 2011
Love this recipe! The filling was very good. Everyone loved them!
Nov 27, 2010
These are a family favorite! We make them every year at Christmas ~ it's a tradition & my family would stage an uprising if these cookies were omitted from our celebration.
Apr 27, 2009
No comment left
Jun 7, 2006
No comment left