Almond Apricot Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves, divided
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream and extract; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of the almonds. Spread half of the preserves to within 1/2 in of the edges. Cover with remaining batter. Spoon remaining preserves over batter to within 1/2 in of edges. Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 370 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, this recipe is now one of my favorites! I love the almond and apricot combination! It baked up perfectly and was great for brunch! The only changes I made were using gluten-free all-purpose flour and adding in some chopped dried apricots.
Aug 14, 2019
Tastes great but I cannot get it to come out of the pan in one piece. First time followed recipe to the letter. Second time reduced cooking temperature and time, increased time in the pan for cooling. Still couldn't get it to come out in one piece. Thinking 3rd time is the charm, reducing the amount of preserves in the first layer so the top/bottom isn't so heavy. What do other people think?
May 13, 2019
Total disaster. Half of it stayed in the pan. A waste of good ingredients. Wouldn’t be so bad if it at least tasted good. But it is bland and unexciting. Wish I could post the photos I took.
May 30, 2017
Fantastic cake! I didn't use the entire jar of apricot preserves and adjusted the baking time a bit, but otherwise I made it exactly as written. It was an instant hit! My grandmother asked for the recipe and she's the best baker I know, so I consider this cake a success!
Apr 15, 2016
This cake has very good flavor and is moist. However it got too crunchy on the outside before the rest of it was done. Maybe baking it 325 for longer would help. Even though I kept the jam away from the sides, part of the cake didn't come out of the pan.
Jan 16, 2015
Many compliments on this cake. It was a little crunchy & brown so next time I may try at 50 mins. I added an oj & powdered sugar glaze & sprinkled with a little water to deal with the crunchiness, but the apricot & almonds (I used sliced) made this really special.
Mar 24, 2012
I made this for a family gathering at my sisters, everyone loved it, and it has now been added to everyone's recipe files
Oct 10, 2011
No comment left
May 12, 2011
followed recipe exactly wonderful. a new family favorite
Sep 5, 2010
No comment left