All-Day Brisket with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place potatoes and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut brisket in half. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides; transfer to slow cooker. In the same pan, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to slow cooker.
- Add beer and bouillon granules to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. To serve, thinly slice across the grain.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 352 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 12, 2020
Outstanding! Flavorful. Did not have molasses-used honey instead.
May 18, 2020
Family liked it. A little heavy on the tomato taste. Eliminated the molasses from the recipe. Added some mushrooms to the crockpot. Overall pretty good.
May 12, 2020
I may try this without the sugar and molasses. Very disappointed with taste if home recipes as most if them use sugar and bouillon for taste which are not really healthy choices.
Oct 3, 2018
This dish was phenomenal! Moist, tender, and flavorful, with taters that came out just the perfect al dente. A definite keeper
Dec 7, 2015
This was good. I used a regular beef roast instead of brisket because I forgot to buy it at the store! Here is my blog post on it: http://heatskitchen.com/2015/12/07/slow-cooker-beef-and-potatoes/
Feb 8, 2014
Great recipe, we are making this again soon
Feb 22, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has made thisusing something besides beer?
Jul 17, 2011
The beef came out with a very unique, yet tasty flavor. This dish was a delight and I will definitely make this again.
Apr 10, 2011
This Recipe was excellant... it had Great Flavor.. Hats off to the chef of this Meal..
Apr 4, 2011
So easy to fix and the sauce was excellent!