Like deep-fried pickles? You’ll love this version even more. Dill pickle slices are coated with panko bread crumbs and spices, then air-fried until crispy. Dip them in ranch dressing for an appetizer you won’t soon forget. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 15 min./batch
- 32 dill pickle slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Cooking spray
- Ranch salad dressing, optional
- Preheat air fryer to 400°. Let pickles stand on a paper towel until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs, pickle juice, cayenne and garlic powder. Combine panko and dill in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip pickles in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere. In batches, place pickles in a single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket. Cook until golden brown and crispy, 7-10 minutes. Turn pickles; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown and crispy, 7-10 minutes longer. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with ranch dressing.
Air-Fryer Pickle Tips
How does an air fryer work?The air fryer is essentially an amped-up countertop convection oven. Its compact space facilitates even faster cooking. The top of the unit holds a heating mechanism and a fan. Hot air rushes down and around the food placed in a fryer-style basket. This rapid circulation makes the food crisp, much like deep frying. Learn more about what an air fryer really does to your food.
What other foods can I make in an air fryer?Air fryers do a fantastic job of cooking frozen foods (or similar recipes made from scratch) that are meant to taste deep-fried. Some of our other favorite air-fryer appetizers are French fries, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. Maybe best of all, air fryers can bake, too! Be sure to try out our best air-fried recipes.
How can I make my air-fryer pickles extra crispy?To get your pickles extra crispy, let the pickles drain out as much liquid as possible. Pat them dry before coating, and then coat only when you’re ready to fry them so that the moisture doesn’t soak into the breading. You can also try toasting the bread crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 pickle slice: 26 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 12, 2020
absolutely love this. made them yesterday and just made them again for some more people to try! definitely recommend.
Jan 26, 2020
Excellent! Crispy and healthier than your normal fried pickles.
Nov 5, 2019
delicious will be making them again