Cooking chicken in a pressure cooker isn’t as intuitive as some think. Before you break out your pot, take a peak at our tips for success on how to cook chicken breasts in an Instant Pot so you can have tender chicken ready for any meal.
How to Cook Chicken in an Instant Pot
- Fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth (add more if using a larger pot)
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Season your chicken
Season your chicken breasts well with salt and pepper, then lightly spray them with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Pour 1 cup chicken stock in the metal pot inside your Instant Pot and place the chicken breasts inside the pot. Secure the lid and ensure the vent is set to sealing.
Step 2: Cook it up
Next, select Pressure Cook (high) and set time to 6 minutes using the +/- keys. The pot will take roughly 5 to 10 minutes to come to pressure. Listen for the beep, indicating when the pressure cooking begins.
Step 3: Let them rest
Once the cook time has completed, allow your pot to naturally release for 5 minutes. Then use the safety precautions to perform a quick release for the remaining pressure. Remove chicken breasts from the pot using tongs and allow them to rest for 10 minutes prior to chopping or shredding for your favorite recipes.
What Are Some Flavor Ideas for Instant Pot Chicken?
Want to spice things up? Try some of these suggestions to quickly transform a plain chicken breast:
- Change up the liquid: skip the chicken stock and opt for beer, apple juice or pineapple juice instead.
- Add some Asian flair: add a tablespoon of miso paste and a splash of soy sauce to the chicken stock.
- Go for Mexican flavors: add in 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and finish off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the chicken stock.
- Make it Mediterranean: add 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and garlic powder to your stock.
- Be bold with Buffalo chicken flavor: embolden your chicken stock with 1/4 cup hot sauce or your favorite wing sauce, 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon celery seed. Top finished chicken with blue cheese.
How Can I Use Instant Pot Chicken?
Now that you have cooked chicken, what can you do with all the meat? Try out some of our favorite chicken breast recipes:
- Add to pasta: try this Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta or Chicken and Broccoli Shells.
- Whip up enchiladas: cook this fun Black Bean and Chicken Enchilada Lasagna or this easy enchilada bake.
- Serve up soup: opt for this favorite Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup (and save time by using precooked chicken).
- Bring pizzaz to your pizza; chicken Caesar it, or go wild with Barbecued Chicken Pizza or Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Top a leafy salad: add Instant Pot cooked chicken to any of your favorite salad recipes, like this contest-winning BLT Chicken Salad.
- Love your chicken salad: if you’re a fan of creamy chicken salads for lunch, check out our best chicken salad recipes.
- Simplify your sandwiches: add to this Rotisserie Chicken Panini or kick it up with Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wraps, using your conveniently cooked chicken.
When you’re ready to expand your skills past the Instant Pot, try our variety of chicken dinner ideas!
Is It Safe to Cook Frozen Chicken?
Absolutely! It’s 5 p.m. and you forgot to defrost the chicken for dinner. No sweat! Check out our complete guide on How to Cook Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot to get started.